Friday, June 1, 2012

The Drapers and Mother's Day

The Sunday following our wonderful anniversary trip was a rough one.  That afternoon after church and naps we learned that our dear Bishop and his wife were in a terrible car accident.  Kathy passed away immediately, while Bishop and two of their granddaughters were at the hospital in critical condition.  Word spreads quickly in a ward when the Bishop and his wife, who are so well loved are in such a situation.  We said a family prayer, met and cried with neighbors and friends and anxiously waited for news.  An hour or two later we got a call that Bishop had also passed away.  We felt both sorrow and joy; sorrow for loosing our Bishop and joy that he and his wife could pass together.  That night we met at the chapel for prayers and an opportunity to be together and comfort each other.  It was wonderful to hear so many wonderful memories of Bishop and his wife and the wonderful people they were.  One of the counselors in our stake presidency told us of his experience in the hospital with the Drapers.  He asked to see Bishop shortly  after he had passed.  Bishop sustained injuries, but the doctors were confident he would survive, then he went in cardiac arrest and after nearly half an hour of trying to revive him, they let him go.  The counselor said he had the distinct impression that Bishop had a choice to stay or go.  I am sure Kathy met his spirit in the hospital, told him that she had passed, and told him he could choose to stay or go with her.  I think, how wonderful it was for both of them to leave the earth together and not have to leave the other alone.  Bishop and Kathy were high school sweet hearts.  That Monday we learned that their two year old granddaughter also passed away.  I don't even like to think about how difficult it must have been for the family to loose two parents and a child.  I am comforted in the knowledge the gospel gives us that all children are alive in Christ, and that families can be together forever.  She surely is in heaven with her loving grandparents, awaiting the return of her parents.  The following Saturday was the funeral, it was a beautiful service.  Quincy's mother wrote a beautiful poem.
Our sweet angel has gone today
back to her home above
She was a gift sent straight from God
A token of his love

Two long years we worked and prayed
To bring her spirit here
She was our little miracle
Her memories we hold dear

Quincy was a lively one
We knew it from the start
Full of vim and vigor
She was so very smart

Her first word came out doggie
That's all that she would say
Then she learned a few more words
talking non stop every day

She loved to play with babies
And puzzles on the phone
She could work that iphone better
Than most anyone who's grown

She always had her softie
And a baby in her sight
Giving her a bottle
And putting her night night

Her big blue eyes and happy voice
Her radiant little face
So outgoing, sociable
Would light up any place

Bubble guppies, baby dolls
Doggies, snacks and story books
Cuddles in the rocking chair
Soft kisses, tender looks

A frightening day, a horrible scene
A fragile little life
Prayers of comfort, miracles
Hurt and anguish, fear and strife

In that small room, in our arms
We cradled her so tight
Hugging her and kissing her
As she quickly lost the fight

Now she's in a place, and perfect place
Where we all want to be
Please hold a spot for me and dad
To spend eternity

Watch over us, protect us
As we finish up our test
Quincy you're our angel
Forever we are blessed

I am so impressed with this poem, it is beautiful and tender and it expresses so much truth.  In times like this I am eternally grateful for the knowledge of eternal families, the plan of salvation and our Saviors atonement which makes it all possible.  The next day was Mother's Day.  Our hearts were full as we thought of the Draper family missing their dear mother Kathy and Angie mourning the loss of her only child.  My thoughts kept turning to the hymn O My Father

1. O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?


2. For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, “You’re a stranger here,”
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.


3. I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav’ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I’ve a mother there.


4. When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.


The thought that we are strangers here on earth and someday we can return to our true home, the place where we really belong is wonderful.  I especially like the thought and knowledge, that we have a Heavenly Mother anxiously waiting for her dear children to return to her.  This brings me peace, hope and even excitement for my return, even though my return will mean my departure from this life.  It is hard to understand the Lords timing, hard to understand why we must experience trials, but when we look with faith and trust in Heavenly Father things are more clear.

I was grateful that my family came to our house to celebrate Mother's day.  I am SO blessed to have a wonderful mother, wonderful grandmothers, a wonderful mother-in-law and a wonderful sister and two sister-in-laws, who are all wonderful mothers to me and my children.  This post is already so long so I wont write about each of them I will just send you to this post and this post, both explain how I feel about these wonderful women in my life.


No comments: