Monday, May 21, 2012

30 of 30

I'm not sure how, but I have managed to get off count, I am on 30 according to the blog, but I am on 29 according to the list, so look forward to one more. :)

What do you think people misunderstand most about you?

My confidence.  My whole life I have come across to people as very confident, social, outgoing and successful, but I am not without my insecurities.  I am naturally and easily reserved, so making new friends does not come easily for me, initiating a conversation is scary, and I had to work really hard to get moderate grades in school.  Unfortunately because people think I am confident and social, when I don't begin conversations, or act outgoing and friendly to others, they perceive me as being stuck-up, rude, or a brat.  In fact that is the first impression I gave to Jared and his friend Justin.  We all met in an institute class at the University of Utah.  I sat in the front row, they sat against the wall near the front, facing me.  Our teacher was tall, well over 6 feet, so I naturally had my head up to see him.  Apparently it looked like I had my nose in the air.  I didn't talk to them or really anyone, I was scared to death, just a little 18 year old girl fresh out of high school in a classroom with lots of "older", college students, yikes!  Jared and Justin were always cracking jokes, they were funny, but I was more often than not afraid to laugh, and so that came off as disapproval  for their behavior.  So the first impression I gave them was not great, fortunately for me, Jared didn't care and asked me out on a date anyways, to Justin's disbelief. :)  After a few more social activities with Justin and the rest of Jared's friends they realized that I wasn't too bad after all, and know we enjoy a great friendship.  I really wish I could just be confident, social, outgoing, and successful, then I wouldn't give off the wrong impressions to others so often.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I didn't know that story...funny. So glad that Jared asked you out despite Justin's disbelief!